Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ah... another dSLR!

Page added on July 5, 2008

Ah... camera lust overcame me (again). I spent quite a bit of time arguing with myself about upgrading my dSLR. Well, really, I was arguing with myself about it for what seems like a very long time. This past February I finally decided that I was being silly. My camera is not an occasional use item; it travels with me, and it jumps into my hand as I wander near home. It's my constant companion.

I ordered my new toy from B & H Photo, and it arrived very quickly. I played with it a bit immediately - in my house, since it was winter and dark outside - just enough to get familiar with the menus and controls, not enough to learn about all of the new options available to me. At first I felt a bit overwhelmed by the options, but then I pulled myself back into a happy, sane state. And keep in mind that I was moving up from another dSLR made by the same manufacturer - and I still felt overwhelmed!

My first outing with my new camera was to take pictures, not to learn everything about the camera in one fell swoop. Once I became familiar with the placement of the controls and settings on the camera, I started exercising the capabilities of the camera. I'm still learning four months later, and I suspect that learning will never stop.

And wow! This camera is fast! I could immediately see a difference just in the simple things, and I learn more each time that I play.

Yes, I know I can and should take some credit for the photos that I get with this camera. But I believe that the camera has helped too.

The negatives? This camera is a little larger (and a little heavier) than my previous dSLR. For some that is a positive. The slightly smaller camera fits a in a smaller space as I'm wandering on my bike.

But the positives far outweigh any negatives. My first choice of camera companion is my 40D.

Click to see a review of the 40D on the dpreview site.



My first photos taken with this camera can be seen in my Camera insists on an ocean visit photo gallery.

Most of the photos from my June 2008 trips to Zion and Acadia National parks were taken with this camera. (Yes, some were taken with my G9, but the 40D was much more active!). You can see photos from this camera in my Acadia captured journal and photo galleries, and in my Red rocks glowing journal and photo galleries.