Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Taking the next step

A little background... some bad picture-taking days

It's now 2006, and I've been happily shooting away with a digital camera since 2002. If you've read through this article from the beginning, you already know that I was looking for a camera that was small and light, in addition to the more obvious requirement of capturing images well. Yes, you're right, the photographer has a lot to do with the images, but the camera's capabilities are also very important.

My camera decisions along the way were good ones. Overall, I have been very happy with my very compact digital cameras; they take beautiful pictures. But 2005 brought some sights in front of my eyes that would have benefited from a camera over which I had more control.

When? My visit with the puffins on Machias Seal Island during my wander in Downeast Maine, views of the windmills in the northeast corner of Prince Edward Island, and of Hopewell Cape in New Brunswick, both during my fall jaunt by bike in Prince Edward Island...

There were a couple of problems. The first was focus. Today's digital cameras do a pretty good job of focusing on the right thing (that is, at least close to the thing that you as photographer want to be in focus). But there were times, especially on the three days I mentioned, that the camera and I definitely didn't see eye-to-eye on my desired images. And then there was the light, or lack of light. On all three days the visibility and light was marginal - I was trapped in foggy conditions. Having more control over the cameras settings would have been helpful. And a better zoom would have helped too.

The reaction of most people when I told them I was considering another camera was 'but your pictures on those days were beautiful'. Yes, I did get some decent pictures - but I want the ability to get more of them!

It's possible that my experience will be helpful if you're considering an SLR yourself. But if an SLR isn't in your future, this section may not be of interest to you.



It's days and views like this one that convinced me I wanted to play with a digital SLR. I'm hoping this it can help me improve upon photos like this one - a very overcast and somewhat foggy day, with puffins and razorbills posing for my camera.




It was pretty much impossible to convince my little camera that I wanted to focus on the windmill!