Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

How to find a place to recharge that pesky digital device

One of my big concerns about buying and touring with a digital camera was power. I was used to cameras that used regular batteries. Well, sort of regular - not something as easy to find and (relatively) inexpensive as AA or AAA batteries, but something that I'd probably be able to find in larger towns (probably the 3000-person towns, not the population 600 towns that I kept wandering through as I rode across the country). Since I bought a camera that used a proprietary rechargeable battery, I had to deal with the issue of needing power outlets.

Note that this section also applies if you have a camera that uses "regular" batteries but you have chosen to use rechargeable versions of those batteries.

When I left home last summer I planned to camp most of the time. But I figured I'd stay in a motel or hostel at least once a week, so at worst case I'd have charging capabilities on at least those nights. It turned out that I stayed in motels most of my trip, so I didn't have any power issues at all. If you plan to tour and camp and still use rechargeable batteries, here are some things to think about:
  • Consider buying an extra battery for your camera. I had two camera batteries with me, which gave me the peace of mind to know that I could easily go several days without needing to charge the batteries. Be careful with this one though - although I often could use the camera for more than one day on a single battery charge, I couldn't pull that off when I was in a drop-dead beautiful place that kept me taking pictures all day long. The first time I got a low-battery notice during the day was at Niagara Falls - but that didn't cause a problem because I was able to just pop my second battery into the camera and keep on clicking away. I recharged both batteries that night. Good to go again! I found it very interesting that the packaging on my extra spare battery recommended carrying 2 to 3 times the batteries you think you are going to need.

  • Use the viewfinder of your camera instead of the LCD, and turn the LCD off. From what I've read, it appears that using a digital camera with the LCD off will conserve power. This may or may not be a viable option for you. I started out intending to use only the viewfinder - after all the LCD panels are just about useless in bright sunlight. Unfortunately, the LCD on my camera is also the place that menus are displayed to alter camera settings like resolution, digital zoom, self-timer, etc., so I found I used it more often than not, even though I was forced to use the viewfinder to compose my pictures because I couldn't see anything reasonable in the LCD because of the light conditions.

  • Keep an eye out for power outlets - and use them!

    • If you're staying in a private campground you might have an outlet at your site, although it's more likely that you'll be at a tent site without a power outlet. But - private campgrounds usually have power in the bathrooms, and there may be outlets there. Or sometimes they have community rooms you can use, again with power outlets.

    • A friend told me that he always used outlets in restaurants. He camped almost exclusively on his cross-country trip, but he ate many meals in restaurants and took advantage of their power while he was eating.

    • Do you occasionally wash your clothes in a laundromat? Check for power outlets there too. (I usually washed my clothes out by hand, but I used laundromats every so often to get a better level of clean.)

    • Are you stopping at libraries to update your journal? Find an outlet and charge your batteries while you're writing and catching up on email.

  • Consider trying a solar charger (or a pedal and power device).


If you're traveling in a country other than your own, you may need to bring a plug adapter with you. First you'll need to check the power supply for your toys to see if they can handle the input voltages that you'll be encountering on your journey. If they can - and I suspect that most modern electronics power supplies can - you'll probably need a plug adapter for that country.

Before my Ireland trip, I went searching on the web. I found Travel Oasis. The site has a lot of information about international electrical supplies in addition to their storefront. I ordered a plug adapter late on a Monday night, and had a package waiting for me when I arrived home on Friday. Good service - I'll buy from them again if the need arises.

This page on the TravelOasis site is a good place to start your search for plug adapters. It includes a link to a world electric guide and a world telephone guide so that you can determine what type of plug adapters that you need.