Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

And new lenses too...

Canon 24-105 IS (all around) plus Canon 10-22 (wide!)

Page added on July 5, 2008

OK Denise, no one cares what lenses you are using on your camera! Or do they?

There have been some lens questions in my guestbook and via direct emails, so I'm going to continue to include some additional lens info here.

A lens is the eye of your camera. If you already have a dSLR and you're trying to make a decision between buying a new camera and buying a new lens, the general rule of thumb is to buy the lens first, that you will get more effect for your money. That said, that will really only work for you if you plan to stay with the same family of camera bodies. Why? Because a lens that fits on a Canon camera will not work on a Nikon, or a... It may still be possible to have a lens altered to adapt it for a different manufacturer's body, but I probably wouldn't go that route.

Canon 24-105 IS, a great all-around lens

This is a sweet lens that lives on my camera for a good chunk of this time. It's my all-around lens, and if I'm wandering with only one lens chances are very good that this is my choice.

All of the photos in my Schoodic wonder gallery (from my June 2008 journey to Acadia National Park) were taken with the Canon 24-105mm lens. A few example photos are shown below.





Canon 10-22, wide, wide wide!

And yet, sometimes... I want a lens for wide-open landscape shots. This lens gives me that wide open capability. And yes, there really is a huge difference between a shot at 24mm (the minimum with the lens above) and 10mm.

This lens can only be used on a crop-sensor camera. In the Canon line, that is the Rebel series of cameras and the xxD cameras (for example, my 40D). It is the equivalent of a 16-35mm lens on a full-sensor body.

All of the photos in my Plum Island afternoon gallery were shot with the Canon 10-22mm lens.