Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Which camera will be joining me on my bike?

Both of them, of course!

My current plans are to continue to use my Elph since it fits so nicely in a tiny fanny pack. For those quick cycling stops, that camera is still perfect. The Rebel will be hiding (not too far away) in my pannier or trailer and will jump out for the more complicated shots.

But is there room?

Of course there is! I did both of my tours last year with panniers on my rear rack only - and I used my smaller front panniers. I believe that there will be room for my small camera case in those panniers, but I can always use the larger pair of panniers if necessary. And when I'm traveling with my trailer, I'm sure that I can make room in the trailer for my camera and extra lens. This is just not going to be a problem!
Quick update, May, 2006:I still may carry my Rebel in one of my panniers or in my trailer while touring, but I just added a rack pack to my stash of on-the-bike carrying options. I went with an Arkel TailRider, with my purchase decision based solely on having a safe place to carry my camera. You can find more information on my decision-making process on this page of my Panniers, a trailer, both? article.

What time is it?

Update on May 8, 2006: I've never really cared if the time on my camera was exactly right; changing it to reflect daylight savings time just didn't seem important to me. But one of my cameras definitely got the better of me on my quick trip last weekend. My digital Elph continued to keep the time based on the last time that I checked and set it - and the Digital Rebel XT adjusted itself for Daylight Savings Time. I was alternating, using both cameras - and when I sorted the photos by the time they were taken they weren't in the order I expected. The mystery was solved today when I thought to look at and compare the date stamp in the two cameras. Of course I reset the Elph so that it now is on Daylight Savings Time too. I'll just have to remember to make the corresponding change when the clocks switch again in the fall.