Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

A first day of experimenting

...wandering along the New Hampshire coast

My goal on the day in January when I ventured out with both cameras was to take photos for comparison. I was going to try to take the same pictures with both cameras. Well, that really wasn't a realistic goal on the first day that I was really wandering with my new camera. I did manage a few comparison shots, but most of the pictures that were taken with the Digital Rebel XT. The comparison photos that I did take served as a reminder that both cameras take beautiful pictures.

The first examples on this page were taken on a cold winter's day, wandering by foot - no bike this time - along the New Hampshire coast.



A mute swan and a duck, along with reflections and ripples...
photo taken with Canon Digital Rebel XT




photo taken with Canon Digital Rebel XT




photo taken with Canon S400




photo taken with Canon S400


You may notice the difference in size between the 2 pictures that were taken with the SLR, and the 2 that were taken with the compact camera. The reason for this is not that I cropped the photos, but that the aspect ratio between the two types of cameras is different. Most digital SLRs produce photos with the same aspect ratio as a 35mm film camera - an aspect ratio of 3:2. And most point & shoot digital cameras produce photos with an aspect ration of 4:3.

More photos from my experiments that short afternoon along the New Hampshire coast can be found in my photo gallery.