Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

In between

...small camera, with control

Page added on July 4, 2008

What if? What if you want the controls of a dSLR but you still want to carry a small camera? Yes, there are cameras out there that satisfy that requirement too.

I'm still having a serious love affair with my Canon 40D, but there are times when I'm wandering and I want to have a (small) camera with me, just in case something jumps out in front of me and cries for a photo. I've been walking with a small point-and-shoot, but sometimes that doesn't meet my needs. You're right, if my primary purpose for wandering is photography then I always have my dSLR with me. Sometimes I have a "baby" camera with me too. And sometimes I only carry the "baby" camera...

And yes, you're quite right. I probably do have somewhat of a camera addiction going here!

How did I meet that need? I added a Canon G9 to my camera collection. It's small, it has the same types of scene automatic settings available on point-and-shoot cameras, plus it has the ability to set the camera into full manual mode. That means I can control the shutter speed, the aperture, the...

So - if you want more control but you don't want to carry a big camera, take a look at this class of cameras. I'm sure there are cameras from other manufacturers that fit into this slot too.



The camera takes beautiful pictures. I carried both my G9 and my Canon 40D (dSLR) on my recent trip to Acadia National Park. Take a look at the photos in my journal or in my photo galleries and see if you can tell which camera I used to take the photo.

Oh, OK! If you really want to know which camera I used, you can check in my photo galleries. Hover over a photo, then click Photo Info. A box will pop up showing information like the camera that was used, the focal length of the lens, other stuff too.



Click to see a review of the G9 on the dpreview site.




If you've read any of my journals, then you've probably already met Rover. If you haven't...

Rover approves of my G9. He tells me it is his size camera, that he can use it to take photos for me while we are riding.