Denise Goldberg's blog

Where did you say you are taking that camera?
Thoughts on (bicycle) touring with a digital camera

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Click, click, click... this camera is fast!

There's another big difference between my cameras, and that is speed. The Digital Rebel XT is amazingly fast. And as I found when I gave in to my desired and bought another dSLR in early 2008, my Canon 40D is even faster!

From the Canon web site, on the Digital Rebel XT:
"Fast 3 frames-per-second shooting with a 14 frame burst and 0.2 second startup time - The EOS Digital Rebel XT was designed from the ground up to be faster and more intuitive than the Digital Rebel. From the ultra-fast 0.2 sec. startup time, shutter release lag of 100 msec. and viewfinder blackout time of 175 msec., the Digital Rebel XT will never keep you waiting. A new high speed shutter shoots at speeds of up to 1/4000 sec. for up to 14 shots and synchronizes with your flash at 1/200 sec."
My experience with this camera makes me believe the manufacturer's statistics. I shot the photos below as this family of Canada Geese (mom, dad, and 5 goslings) moved from the water to land. My camera just kept quickly capturing images. What fun!

I know from experience that my baby camera doesn't cycle this fast so I wouldn't be able to capture the same sequence of photos with that camera. Of course the speed at which the camera captures images probably doesn't matter for most of the photos I take when I'm touring - but it certainly helps when I see animals (or sometimes people doing strange and wonderful things) that I'd like to capture as a memory.